The Colombo Chief Magistrate today issued notice on former Chief Justice Mohan Peiris to appear in court on March 8.Peiris and two others were ordered in court over a case filed by the Bribery Commission. (Colombo Gazette)

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgzoomImage Courtesy: Essar Ports Following a successful first quarter, India’s port operator Essar Ports expects to meet its target of handling 60 million tons (MT) of cargo in FY 2020.For the quarter ended June 30, 2019, Essar Ports reported a 17.4 percent growth in cargo volumes across its four terminals.The combined throughput stood at 13.5 million tons, up from 11.5 million tons recorded in the same period last year.As explained, higher capacity utilization at the company’s recently commissioned terminals at Salaya and Vizag, and an increase in third-party cargo were the two key factors that will help the company achieve its target of handling 60 million tons of cargo by March 31, 2020. With throughput being 47 MT in FY19, this would translate to a growth of 27 percent, the port operator said.“Our business is on a record growth trajectory with all terminals operating in full swing. Significant boost in third-party business and enhanced capacity utilisation of our anchor customers has been the key driver for the growth in volumes,” Rajiv Agarwal, MD & CEO of Essar Ports, commented.“We have consistently surpassed the average sectorial growth rate and are confident of achieving our target by March 2020,” Agarwal added.Essar Ports is one of India’s largest private sector port and terminal developers and operators. Its current operations span four terminals with a combined capacity of 110 MTPA, which is roughly 5 percent of India’s port capacity.Outside India, Essar’s port assets include a liquid terminal in the UK and a coal terminal which is in the development stage at Mozambique’s Beira port.last_img

The United Nations agencies tasked with assisting refugees and promoting sexual and reproductive health rights have bolstered their partnership to tackle common challenges such as combating sexual and gender-based violence and addressing the needs of internally displaced persons (IDPs). UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) António Guterres and UN Population Fund (UNFPA) Executive Director Thoraya Ahmed Obaid signed a joint letter in Geneva yesterday formalizing the strengthened ties between the two bodies which have been working together for many years on issues of mutual concern. “The newly signed letter is an attempt to broaden the cooperation between the agencies,” said Karl Steinacker, head of UNHCR’s field information and coordination support section. The two agencies have collaborated to ensure that refugees and IDPs can enjoy their rights to good health, including in the preparation of health manuals, and to provide training, guidelines and resources to combat sexual and gender-based violence, particularly in refugee communities. In addition, UNFPA supplies UNHCR with items, including male and female condoms, to prevent unwanted pregnancies and the transmission of sexually transmitted infections in conflict zones. They have also worked together on a photographic and video project – “Positive Living, an exhibition for refugee settings” – designed to help de-stigmatize HIV/AIDS by showing that people living with HIV can lead a normal existence, which has toured refugee camps all over Africa. Other areas where the two agencies stand to benefit from closer cooperation include obtaining accurate information on displaced populations, which will help to ensure that the vulnerable receive the assistance they need. Also, UNFPA’s expertise in carrying out population censuses can help in identifying the world’s stateless people. 1 May 2008The United Nations agencies tasked with assisting refugees and promoting sexual and reproductive health rights have bolstered their partnership to tackle common challenges such as combating sexual and gender-based violence and addressing the needs of internally displaced persons (IDPs).

Vincent Cochetel, Europe Bureau Director for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), said in a statement that the arrival in Italy today of a cargo ship carrying some 450 migrants is part of “an ongoing and worrying situation” that European Governments can no longer ignore. According to media reports, nearly 800 migrants were rescued from another ship found abandoned without any crew earlier in the week.The use of ships of such size marked a new trend, Mr. Cochetel noted, while underlining the need for urgent and concerted European action in the Mediterranean Sea, along with more efforts to rescue people at sea and stepped-up efforts to provide legal alternatives to dangerous voyages.UN Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson also commented on the new “appalling trend” of traffickers abandoning larger cargo ships laden with migrants in the Mediterranean.This is the latest cynical chapter in the ongoing tragedy of irregular migration at sea that has resulted in 3,000 reported deaths in the Mediterranean alone in 2014, compared to an estimated 700 migrant deaths in the same waters in 2013, according to a readout of Mr. Eliasson’s discussions on migration.The deputy UN chief held talks today with UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for International Migration and Development Peter Sutherland, and Director General of the International Organization for Migration William Swing.He commended the ongoing rescue efforts, in particular by the Italian Navy and Coast Guard, and emphasized the responsibility held by countries of destination, transit and origin to ensure the protection and human rights of migrants.Mr. Eliasson’s views were echoed by Mr. Cochetel, who noted UNHCR’s gratitude to the Italian authorities for their response to the latest incidents, despite the phasing down of the Mare Nostrum operation. Mr. Cochetel emphasized his concerns about the ending of that operation despite the absence of a similar European search-and-rescue operation to replace it.“Without safer ways for refugees to find safety in Europe, we won’t be able to reduce the multiple risks and dangers posed by these movements at sea,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *