Nearly eight months ago, the Australian sporting community was shocked at the announcement former Australian Wallabies coach Eddie Jones, would be assisting the Springboks in their quest for the 2007 Rugby World Cup. This weekend the Australian Men’s Open Coach Tony Trad, will also put his national ties aside, however his loyalty to the sport will remain in tact, as he crosses codes to assist South Africa in the International World Rugby Sevens tournament in Adelaide. Trad was approached by head coach Paul Trew, who recognized the benefits of his knowledge following the 2007 Federation of International Touch World Cup in South Africa. “We met in South Africa, and from there we kept in contact and built up a rapport, as there are so many similarities between the games,” Trad said. “Paul attended one of my training camps last year, then I attended the South African training camp in Sydney in February.“I started with assisting with skills and drills, and now have moved onto creating space and the angle running that we use in Touch.”Touch Football Australia Chief Executive Officer Colm Maguire is extremely supportive of the move. “I think the recognition of our sport is great, it shows that the knowledge of our sport and is valued by other codes.” Maguire said. “It provides an opportunity for us to gain an insight and learn from the sport of Rugby also.” The South African team has had strong success in the eight tournament competition to-date currently sitting second after five of eight legs of the tournament, well in place to reach their goal of a top-two finish. The 2006/07 victors New Zealand are currently ranked first, and look strong to defend the title. The eight placed Australian team also has a Touch influence, with NSW Men’s Open player Willie Bishop playing also. “The Australians are also starting to recognize the similarities of the sports, with Willie in the team,” Trad said. Trad has used the position to also expose other Touch Footballers to the program, with Australian and current number one Men’s Open player Jason Stanton, and victorious Sydney Mets NTL coach Paul Spheres taking part at camps. The Australian leg of the tournament will be held at the Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, on the 5th and 6th of April.
zoom An investigation into a collision between a bulk carrier, a tug and a tank barge, which occurred in late January 2016 in the Lower Mississippi River, showed that the actions of the pilot aboard the bulker and the tug captain led to the incident, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said.In the evening hours of January 31, 2016, the bulk carrier Aris T collided with tank barge, towing vessel Pedernales, and two facility structures, all of which were located on the left descending bank of the Mississippi River at Norco, Louisiana.Also damaged during the collision were one additional shoreside structure, another towing vessel, and two other tank barges, bringing the total damage cost to more than USD 60 million. No pollution resulted from the accident, however, two dock workers reported injuries.Following an investigation, the NTSB determined that the probable cause of the collision was the failure of the pilot on the Aris T to take early and effective action to mitigate the risk presented by the developing upriver traffic situation, and the distraction of the captain on the Loretta G. Cenac from safety-critical navigational functions as a result of his cell phone use.Based on information from the involved parties, investigators concluded that the navigational equipment, steering, propulsion, and other vital systems on the Aris T, Elizabeth M. Robinson, and Loretta G. Cenac operated satisfactorily at the time of the accident.