first_img“We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die,” Crozier wrote, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, which published a copy of the letter on Tuesday.”The spread of the disease is ongoing and accelerating,” Crozier wrote, referring to the ship’s “inherent limitations of space.”He asked to be able to quarantine nearly the entire crew onshore at Guam, saying keeping them all on board the ship was an “unnecessary risk.” There is little opportunity for “social distancing”, which US civilians have been told to practice, among the cramped passageways and sleeping quarters of an aircraft carrier. “Removing the majority of personnel from a deployed US nuclear aircraft carrier and isolating them for two weeks may seem like an extraordinary measure,” he said. “This is a necessary risk.”Asked on the CBS Evening News whether it was time for an evacuation, Esper said: I don’t think we’re at that point.”He added that supplies and medical assistance are being moved out to the Roosevelt.”We’re providing additional medical personnel as they need it.” He added that “none of them are seriously ill” and the Navy is “trying to make sure that we contain the virus, that we deploy testing kits. We get a good assessment of how much of the crew is infected.” Topics : Over 100 cases on board The Chronicle said that more than 100 aboard the warship had been confirmed infected with the new coronavirus, around four times the figures given last Friday.Crozier asked in the letter for quarantine facilities for the entire crew on Guam.The US Navy did not confirm the contents of the letter, which were also reported by The New York Times.In a statement, a Navy official under condition of anonymity said that Crozier had alerted his Pacific fleet leaders on Sunday of the problems aboard the carrier.”The ship’s commanding officer advocated for housing more members of the crew in facilities that allow for better isolation,” the official said.”Navy leadership is moving quickly to take all necessary measures to ensure the health and safety of the crew of USS Theodore Roosevelt, and is pursuing options to address the concerns raised by the commanding officer.”center_img Vietnam port stop Some speculated that the infection could have begun with a port stop in Vietnam by the Roosevelt.The carrier put in to Da Nang port for five days in early March, when the virus was raging in China and more than a dozen cases had been detected in Vietnam.Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly told CNN Tuesday that he agreed with Crozier on the seriousness of the situation, and that they had been working over the past few days to move people off of the Roosevelt.However, he said, facilities to sequester the afflicted sailors in Guam, which hosts a major US naval base, are limited.”We are having to talk to the government there to see if we can get some hotel space, create some tent-type facilities there,” Modly said.In his letter published by the Chronicle, Crozier referred to a study about the Diamond Princess cruise ship which was quarantined off Japan earlier this year.The study concluded that early evacuation of passengers and crew would have prevented many more infections. Ten passengers died and more than 700 people who were on board contracted the virus. The captain of the US nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt told the Pentagon that new coronavirus is spreading uncontrollably through his ship and called for immediate help to quarantine its crew.But Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Tuesday ruled out evacuating the ship, whose plight bears similarities to that on civilian cruise ships where the COVID-19 illness spread.Captain Brett Crozier wrote in a four-page letter that they had not been able to stem the spread of COVID-19 through the 4,000 crewmembers, describing a dire situation aboard the vessel now docked at Guam, a US territory in the Pacific.last_img

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgTopics : Sakellaropoulou was elected by parliament in January by 261 out of 300 lawmakers, one of the broadest cross-party majorities in Greek history.She has set out her priorities as tackling the economic crisis, climate change and mass migration.The new president was until now the head of Greece’s top administrative court, the Council of State.The daughter of a Supreme Court judge, Sakellaropoulou completed postgraduate studies at Paris’s Sorbonne University.  She was the first woman to lead the Council of State.Although the president is nominally the head of the Greek state and commander-in-chief, the post is largely ceremonial.Greek presidents confirm governments and laws and technically have the power to declare war — but only in conjunction with the government.Greece has so far announced 117 cases of coronavirus, one of whom died on Thursday after ten days in hospital.Three people are in intensive care and the government has shut down schools and universities, courts, cinemas, gyms and other indoor public gathering areas for two weeks in an effort to curb the outbreak.center_img Greece on Friday prepared to swear in the first woman president in its history as the country grapples with over a hundred coronavirus cases.Ekaterini Sakellaropoulou, a 63-year-old senior judge, will become the new Greek head of state for a five-year term.She will take her oath in parliament, lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier — Greece’s foremost military monument — and go to the presidential mansion for a handover ceremony with outgoing president Prokopis Pavlopoulos, parliament said.last_img

first_imgNorth Sumatra is projected to see a rise in poor and unemployed residents as the novel coronavirus pandemic hits the earnings of millions of workers and damages the country’s economy, according to Bank Indonesia (BI).Wiwiek Sisto Widayat, the chief representative of the central bank’s North Sumatra branch, said that under the moderate scenario, about 125,000 people would fall into poverty, bringing the province’s total poor population to 1.38 million after the COVID-19 crisis had passed.Under the extreme scenario, an additional 589,521 residents of North Sumatra could fall into poverty, bringing the province’s total poor population to 1.85 million. Wiwiek said that North Sumatra might see 4.3 to 4.7 percent growth after the outbreak in a mild scenario, but an extreme scenario might leave the province with only 1.2 to 1.6 percent growth.The central bank has implemented monetary policies to anticipate the turbulence, including those seeking to reduce interest rates, stabilize the exchange rate, digitize small and medium enterprises and relax statutory reserve and liquidity requirements.Wiwiek said BI was also focusing on macroprudential regulations and payment system policies as well as deepening financial markets and encouraging sharia economic activities.“We are doing this because Bank Indonesia doesn’t want the extreme scenario to happen. We must anticipate it as much as possible with the cooperation of all stakeholders,” he said.Read also: COVID-19: Swift, accurate government aid disbursement critical in avoiding spike in povertyThe central government previously estimated that 1.1 million to 3.78 million Indonesians would fall into poverty and 2.9 million to 5.2 million could lose their jobs as a result of the COVID-19 crisis, as the pandemic had upended supply chains and forced companies to lay off employees.As many as 2.8 million people have lost their jobs as of Monday, according to data from the Manpower Ministry and the Workers Social Security Agency (BPJS Ketenagakerjaan). More than half were furloughed and placed on paid or unpaid leave.The International Monetary Fund (IMF) projects the worst global recession since the Great Depression, potentially dragging Indonesia’s economic growth to 0.5 percent this year from 5.02 percent in 2019. (mfp)Topics : He also estimated that the number of unemployed workers in the province would almost double, increasing from 383,000 to 737,000.“This is all due to COVID-19, which has affected all the business sectors that are the sources of North Sumatra’s regional gross domestic product,” Wiwiek said in a virtual seminar hosted by the Medan State University School of Economics on Tuesday.Read also: Up to 9 million people to fall into poverty, unemployment as COVID-19 hits: Sri Mulyani“It has also impacted other economic growth variables such as consumption, investment, government spending, imports and exports. All will be affected, including the poor population and unemployed people living in North Sumatra.”last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *