first_imgEditor’s note: Because of a technical problem, this story was not published until Mar 27.Mar 26, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – A diagnosis of H5N1 avian influenza in a 3-year-old Egyptian girl yesterday marked Egypt’s 27th case overall and the ninth this year, according to news services.The girl, who tested positive yesterday, is from the southern city of Aswan, according to an Associated Press (AP) report. Egypt’s two previous case-patients, a 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl, were also from Aswan.Health ministry spokesman Abdel Rahman Shahine said the 3-year-old girl was admitted to an Aswan hospital with a fever and cold symptoms, the AP reported. She was in stable condition and being treated with oseltamivir (Tamiflu). A report by Xinhua, the Chinese news service, said the girl was hospitalized Mar 22.Shahine said the girl caught the virus from birds her family raises, according to the AP.The World Health Organization has not yet recognized the girl’s case on its Web site. Of 26 confirmed cases in Egypt, 13 have been fatal. By the WHO’s count, Egypt has the third most cases, after Vietnam, with 93 (42 fatal), and Indonesia with 81 (63 fatal). Several recent cases reported in Indonesia have not yet been recognized by the WHO.In other developments, officials in Bangladesh reported H5N1 had spread to three poultry farms widely separated from those near the capital, Dhaka, where outbreaks were reported last week, according to an Agence France-Press (AFP) report published yesterday.A government spokesman named Abdul Motalib said outbreaks were found on three farms in the northern district of Jamalpur, prompting the destruction of 9,000 birds, AFP reported. He also said there were reports of chicken deaths in two other districts.A Reuters report today said outbreaks have struck a total of nine farms in the Dhaka area and Jamalpur district, leading to the culling of 50,000 birds.A number of workers at the farms have been tested and found free of the virus, Health Secretary Ehsan Ul Fattah told Reuters.last_img

Related Posts

first_img March 13, 2013 Share this article View post tag: News by topic View post tag: USD View post tag: Navy View post tag: Naval View post tag: 17.5 Industry news View post tag: Defence View post tag: getcenter_img View post tag: million The old US warship Battleship Texas will get its first significant repairs in more than 20 years, according to ABC.A $17.5 million contract intended for the warship’s overhaul has been awarded to Taylor Marine Construction.In 1948, the Battleship TEXAS became the first battleship memorial museum in the United States. That same year, on the anniversary of Texas Independence, the TEXAS was presented to the State of Texas and commissioned as the flagship of the Texas Navy. In 1983, the TEXAS was placed under the stewardship of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and is permanently anchored on the Buffalo Bayou and the busy Houston Ship Channel.On the video below, you can see the Battleship Texas foundation:The repairs, focusing on the ship’s structural foundation, are going to start in April, and the battleship will remain open during the overhaul.The work is expected to be completed in the fall of 2014.[mappress]Naval Today Staff, March 13, 2013; Image: Texas Parks View post tag: Battleship View post tag: Texas View post tag: Refit Back to overview,Home naval-today VIDEO: Battleship Texas to Get USD 17.5 Million Refit (USA) View post tag: Defense VIDEO: Battleship Texas to Get USD 17.5 Million Refit (USA)last_img

first_imgIt was confirmed this morning that Nigel Owens MBE will be refereeing the Varsity Rugby Match this Thursday.As a contracted Heineken Champions Cup referee, Owens is required to regularly officiate matches on the continent. The group phase of the European knockout competition traditionally takes place in the Autumn and has previously denied Owens the opportunity to don the whistle for the contest between Oxford and Cambridge.The Welshman, however, has been handed special dispensation this time around to referee the iconic fixture, before travelling to Paris for Sunday’s clash between Racing 92 and Leicester Tigers.Upon confirmation of the arrangement, he tweeted: “Very pleased to [have] been given the honour of refereeing the Varsity match at Twickenham on Thursday. Really excited and looking forward to refereeing this great fixture for the first time.”In 2014, Owens was subjected to homophobic abuse when taking charge of an Autumn International between England and New Zealand at Twickenham, and subsequently two supporters were banned from the home of English rugby.In August of this year, he revealed that the RFU chairman Bill Beaumont had personally handwritten a letter in which he assured Owens that the RFU were in staunch opposition to the homophobic behaviour and that “[Owens] would always be welcome at Twickenham.”Owens credits this intervention as the driving force in deciding against retiring as a referee, and in 2015 returned to Twickenham to officiate the Rugby World Cup Final between New Zealand and Australia.Speaking to the official Varsity Match website, Owens nodded to the long line of Welsh officials who have taken charge of the fixture, adding that he “didn’t want to miss out on this game in my career.”Owens will become the third referee to blow the whistle in the Varsity Match having previously officiated the World Cup Final, following in the footsteps of fellow Welshman Derek Bevan, who officiated the 1991 Final that Twickenham also played host to. In more recent history, Englishmen Wayne Barnes (2005, 2008) and Dave Pearson (2011) have joined the roll call after refereeing at the World Cup.The arrangement is no doubt mutually beneficial to all parties involved; a sentiment echoed by CEO David Searle on the Varsity site: “It is fantastic to have the endorsement of the world’s leading referee for our fixture at Twickenham. It is nice to see that the current crop of professional referees still see value in the traditions of the game and still want to be involved in games like the Varsity Match.”The move is another welcome boost for the occasion after a four-year extension with Twickenham for both the Men’s and Women’s matches was agreed in March. At the time, Men’s captain Dominick Waldouck told Cherwell: “Some of my earliest rugby memories are watching The Varsity game. For me, Twickenham represents the home of Varsity, so it’s great to hear the contract has been extended.”The 138th Varsity match will take place on Thursday 6th December at its usual venue in Twickenham.Below is a link to Fred Dimbleby’s interview with Owens earlier this year:http://cherwell.org/2018/05/06/nigel-owens-i-dont-want-to-be-a-celebrity/last_img

first_imgVolunteers, including members of the Ocean City High School Key Club, unload Thanksgiving meals for residents at Wesley by the Bay. By MADDY VITALEBrett Bailey, of Ocean City, pushed her shopping cart down the sidewalk outside of St. Peter’s United Methodist Church on Wednesday afternoon. And in that cart was a bag filled with a piece of turkey, pie, soup and potato chips.“It’s nice,” said Bailey, who lives in one of the rooming homes in the resort. “It really helps. It really is God’s blessing.” Bailey stopped by God’s Kitchen, an organization based at St. Peter’s that provides food for those in need.Volunteers Kathy Thompson and Andy Martin, along with Jen Bowman, who is in charge of St. Peter’s food ministry, and Pastor Eric Hall, were busy handing bagged meals for Thanksgiving to the people who stopped by.Brett Bailey, of Ocean City, is thankful for the meal.Dave Boston, another Ocean City resident, thanked the volunteers, chatted a bit and smiled as he took his turkey dinner with all of the trimmings.On a typical year, God’s Kitchen provides about 45 meals to people during Thanksgiving. But this year, 65 meals were given out.Martin explained his thoughts about the increase in need. “There’s a pandemic,” he noted. “There are no jobs, so people need help more than ever.”God’s Kitchen was one of a few ways those in need received holiday meals. And without the partnership with OCNJ CARE, a non-profit organization that raises funds, identifies those in need and delivers aid where needed in the community, it would be difficult – if not impossible, volunteers said. OCNJ CARE, with Drew Fasy as the chairman, funded the Thanksgiving meals. Volunteers Joanne Budnick and Nancy McNamara make last-minute preparations for dinners to be delivered to shut-ins.Fasy said in an interview Tuesday that OCNJ CARE was elated to offer help.“We thought the dinner was something we didn’t want to let go by the wayside,” Fasy said. “The meal is one thing, and at its core we felt compelled to be involved.”Each year St. John Lutheran Church does Thanksgiving dinner but amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the sit-down meal was canceled. St. Peter’s United Methodist Church traditionally does a community Christmas dinner. Like the Thanksgiving meal, the Christmas dinner, with planning in the works, will also be provided via takeout and delivery, Bowman and Fasy said.A host of volunteers were upstairs in the kitchen at the church doing last-minute preparations to the dinners to be delivered by the Ocean City High School Key Club to 30 shut-ins who are members of the church and residents from Wesley by the Bay.Vanessa Karayiannis, president of the Key Club, said when Bowman and Fasy reached out to the Key Club to help deliver the meals, the club “instantly jumped on the opportunity.”“Our members made beautiful cards with holiday messages to include with the meals, which we hope made the residents day just a little bit brighter,” she said. Karayiannis added, “It was also amazing to see our members join together to hand out Thanksgiving meals to the residents. In spite of the ongoing pandemic, it is so rewarding to see our community join together to help others in need and make their day just a little bit brighter.”Turkey dinners with the trimmings are included in each meal.In all, about 20 turkeys were prepared by the volunteers for a total of about 175 dinners.Bowman and the other volunteers, including Scott Chaffin, a St. Peter’s employee, boxed up the meals for delivery by the Key Club.Students from the Ocean City Intermediate School also got involved. “They brought over two truckloads of food,” Bowman said.“It was amazing because really it was just about five of us who organized this. The Key Club and OCNJ Care really helped. Everyone came together,” Bowman said.Jen Bowman and St. Peter’s Church employee Scott Chaffin load up the van to go to Wesley by the Bay.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *