SEFA Grant Supports Solar-Hydro Hybrid Project

first_imgThe African Development Bank-managed Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) has approved a $990,000 grant to support the preparation of a 9-MW solar-hydro hybrid project in Burundi. The project consists of two plants, each featuring a solar and a hydro component as well as a local distribution network and interconnection to the national power grid. The hybrid design is anticipated to regularize the power output during dry and wet season and mitigate power shortfalls caused by climate change.The SEFA grant will support technical feasibility, environmental and social impact assessment and financial advisory for the project.Upon completion, the project will also electrify about 20,000 households in surrounding communities through a local distribution network. By enhancing access to electricity, the project will also generate socio-economic benefits especially for women and small and medium-sized enterprises (SME).“In addition to the energy access and socio-economic benefits, with the strong government support, this innovative project will pave the way for increased private sector participation in renewable energy to diversify the energy mix in Burundi,” said Wale Shonibare, the Bank’s acting vice-president for Power, Energy, Climate, and Green Growth.Daniel Brose, president and CEO of Songa Energy Burundi said, “We are privileged to have secured this funding which is instrumental to the further development of our portfolio. This funding will bring us and the people of Burundi one step closer to our collective goal of widespread rural electrification in a country that has one of the lowest rates of access to electricity in the world.”The project is fully aligned with the Bank’s strategic goal to support inclusive green growth by promoting access to clean, modern, reliable and affordable energy services in rural areas, and to promote energy access and renewable energy technologies.It is also aligned to the Government of Burundi’s objectives to expand renewable energy generation capacity, and promote private sector involvement in the energy sector.last_img read more

Sons of slain woman attack man who admitted to killing her during sentencing

first_imgA judge has delayed the sentencing for a man who admitted to killing his ex-girlfriend after the woman’s sons attacked the suspect during his sentencing.The incident occurred in Youngstown, Ohio Thursday.62-year-old Dale Williams was standing trial for the 2017 murder of Elizabeth Pledger-Stewart.  Williams admitted to investigators that he waited over 45 minutes for Pledger-Stewart to drive by him on her way to work so he could drive her off of the road. He then shot her.The family was about to give their victim impact statements when one of Pledger-Stewart’s son’s jumped Williams. That’s when the other son joined in.  It took several officers to pull the men off the suspect and at least one of the son’s was tasered.Both sons have since been arrested and are being held in contempt of court with further charges expected.Williams’ sentencing has been rescheduled.last_img read more

Swift Current Broncos pick Nelson’s Curt Doyle in Bantam Draft

first_imgNelson’s Curt Doyle spent the past season tending goal for the Kamloops Jardine Blazers.The move appears to have paid instant dividends as the Heritage City product caught the eye of the Western Hockey League’s Swift Current Broncos, who drafted the 15-year-old goalie in the ninth round (188th overall) in last week’s Bantam Draft.“This is a real exciting time,” Doyle said from his parent’s home in Nelson. “I’m really excited . . . this is just a real good feeling but I’m also pretty surprised to be honest.”Like many other 15-year-old hockey products, Doyle was watching the draft play out when his name came up during the Broncos ninth round selection.About an hour later the chief scout for Swift Current called Doyle to welcome him to the WHL club via telephone. Doyle began playing the sport in Nelson Minor Hockey at the age of five, moving into the goal full time during his second year of Atom.He played two seasons each with the Peewee and Bantam Rep teams before moving this past year to Kamloops to play with the Jardine Blazers.The 5’11”, 155-pound, Doyle finished the season with a 24-4 record and six shutouts.The Jardine Blazers won the Okanagan League with a 12-0-1 record.Doyle plans to move back to Nelson to compete for a spot on the Kootenay Ice Major Midget Hockey Club this coming season with an eye on the Broncos in the future.”The BC Major Midget Hockey League is a very good program for developing players,” Doyle said.But first the Heritage City product is expecting a package from the WHL club to arrive soon that will hopefully include an invitation to rookie camp.“I’ve always had an interest in college and Tier I hockey, but I’m leaning toward the WHL which has always been a goal of mine to make it there,” Doyle said.last_img read more

BAFFERT’S VALE DORI ROCKETS TO 10 ¼ LENGTH WIN IN $65,000 SANTA ANITA ALLOWANCE FEATURE; BEJARANO UP FOR 1 1/16 MILE WIN IN 1:43.26

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Oct. 28, 2016)–With Eclipse Award Champions Stellar Wind and Beholder targeted for next Friday’s $2 million Breeders’ Cup Distaff, Argentine-bred Vale Dori found conditions to order today at Santa Anita as she rocketed to a 10 ¼ length win in the day’s $65,000 allowance feature. Trained by Bob Baffert and ridden by Rafael Bejarano, Vale Dori made every pole a winning one as she covered 1 1/6 miles in 1:43.26.A well beaten third behind the afore mentioned Stellar Wind and Beholder in the Grade I Zenyatta Stakes here on Oct. 1, Vale Dori now has two wins from four starts for Baffert in Southern California.“I’m seeing a big change in her,” said Baffert. “She’s much calmer now. When she first got here (this past spring), she was a handful. She’s six months behind (due to the hemispheric difference between Argentina and North America), but she’s catching up. We’ll run her next in the Bayakoa (Grade II, 1 1/16 miles on Dec. 3) at Del Mar.”With no show wagering, Vale Dori was the heavy 1-5 favorite in a field of four fillies and mares, and paid $2.40 and $2.10.In what seemed like a separate race, Texas-bred Chronologic’sghost, who was rank in the early running, outran All Star Bub for second money by three quarters of a length. Ridden by Anne Sanguinetti, Chronologic’sghost was off at 13-1 and paid $5.20 to place.Fractions, which were set by the winner, were 23.73, 47.65, 1:11.89 and 1:36.62.First post time for a nine-race card on Saturday at Santa Anita is at 12:30 p.m. Admission gates open at 10:30 a.m.last_img read more

NO SERVICES WILL BE LOST AT LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL AFTER FLOODING

first_imgAll services provided by Letterkenny General Hospital prior to last month’s flooding disaster will be fully restored.That was the message from Deputy Joe McHugh following discussions at the hospital yesterday afternoon with Bill Maher, Chief Executive of HSE West.“I can confirm today that all services previously provided at Letterkenny General Hospital are to be restored as they were before last month’s flash flooding of the hospital. “This was confirmed to me at a meeting in the hospital yesterday with Mr Bill Maher, CEO of HSE West, and with Seán Murphy, Manager of Letterkenny General Hospital. It has also been confirmed that the planned new endoscopy unit, funding for which was announced in early July, will be put in place as intended prior to the flooding,” said the Fine Gael TD.Deputy McHugh at the hospital with Health Minister James ReillyThe Donegal Deputy said he is confident in the capabilities of hospital management, staff, patients and the community to overcome the enormous challenges that face us over the next nine months.“The task for Letterkenny General Hospital is to deliver high quality health services at a site that will be under refurbishment. This will involve unavoidable disruption for patients and staff, which must be minimised.“I know from speaking with people working in the hospital and from speaking with people in the community, that they do not want a rushed job. It is important that the refurbished building will be fit for purpose, and that last month’s disaster will never happen again. “This work is already underway with design, engineering and architectural teams being appointed. It is also encouraging that local sub-contractors are working on the construction of temporary accommodation for A&E services at the hospital, a number of whom I met at the hospital yesterday,” he added.The Carrigart-based politician also made the point very strongly that the people of Donegal want answers as to why the hospital flooded last month.He said there must be be full accountability and disclosure and that he awaits the independent engineer’s professional assessment.“I also raised public concerns about kitchen services at the hospital. HSE Management assures me that a new state-of-the-art kitchen will be fully constructed.“I am in continuous contact with the Minister for Health, Dr James Reilly TD, about the hospital. Minister Reilly has visited Letterkenny General Hospital twice since last month’s disaster, and he is monitoring the situation closely. “It is encouraging for the people of Donegal that existing services will be restored and secured, and that plans to roll out further additional services remain in place.”NO SERVICES WILL BE LOST AT LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL AFTER FLOODING was last modified: August 16th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:deputy joe mchughLetterkenny General Hospitallast_img read more

Donegal man charged over incident at repossessed Roscommon farmhouse

first_imgA DONEGAL man has appeared in court charged with assault, criminal damage and false imprisonment in Roscommon last year.PJ Sweeney, of High Cairn, Ramelton, was before Castlerea District Court yesterday in connection with an incident on December 16, 2018 at a repossessed farmhouse in Falsk, Strokestown. Sweeney was one of four men in court yesterday.Sweeney was charged previously with violent disorder. Yesterday, he was charged with assault, criminal damage and false imprisonment. Sweeney also faced one charge of cruelty to a dog under the Animal Welfare act. A public order charge against Sweeney was withdrawn.Martin O’Toole, from Stripe, Irishtown, Claremorris, Paul Beirne, of Croghan, Boyle, and David Lawlor, of 5, Brookhaven, Blanchardstown, Dublin, were also before the court. Judge Deirdre Gearty remanded all four on bail with strict conditions to appear again at a sitting of the district court in Castlerea on 20 December.Donegal man charged over incident at repossessed Roscommon farmhouse was last modified: November 4th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Castlerea District CourtPJ SweeneyRameltonroscommonStrokestownlast_img read more

Hertl skates, but status for game vs. Minnesota Wild remains uncertain

first_imgSAN JOSE — Tomas Hertl’s availability for Tuesday’s game against the Minnesota Wild will be decided later in the day as the Sharks look to close out their four-game homestand on a positive note.Hertl left Saturday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a head injury and missed practice on Monday. But he skated Tuesday morning and he said he felt better than he did the day before.“We’ll see how I feel after today’s skate,” Hertl said. “I don’t know if it’s tonight or the next game, but …last_img read more

Warriors will offer Klay Thompson max contract Sunday, report says

first_imgIn nothing of a surprise, the Warriors will present Klay Thompson a max contract offer of $190 million when NBA free agency begins on Sunday, ESPN reported Friday afternoon.Sources told Adrian Wojnarowski the Warriors are expected to quickly sign Thompson to a five-year deal right after 3 p.m. Sunday to finish the easy part of their two-part plan to retain their two All-Star free agents.Both Thompson and the Warriors have long talked about their desire to reach a deal and both sides will …last_img read more

Using 2017 notes to make a 2018 plan

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest What worked and what didn’t in each particular field this past growing season? DuPont Pioneer Territory Manager Trent Brisby says taking a close look at your 2017 results will help as you prepare a plan for 2018. He tells the Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins what to look for in this week’s DuPont Pioneer Field Report.last_img

Executive Summary: Linkbuilding and SEO for the Internet Marketing Neophyte

first_img Topics: Link Building Links to your website are very important for Internet marketing and getting ranked higher in search engines for keywords related to your business.Benefits of links to your website:1) The right links can drive traffic to your site which can convert into leads.2) Links help search engines find all of the content on your site to index that content.3) The number and quality of links to your site help determine your Page Rank (basically a measure of how important Google thinks your website is) and your Page Rank helps determine your rank for many search terms.Tips on how to get links:1) Submit your site to web directories. Focus on the directories with the best brand and traffic. We have found the Yahoo! Directory and Business.com (both require an annual fee) to be effective, and also try to give the free open directory a shot. You can also try other, smaller and free or lower cost directories, but avoid any that seem really small or just don’t look valuable – remember that the quality of the site linking to you matters. A couple ideas are: www.joeant.com, www.worldhot.com, and www.splut.com.2) Communicate with others in your industry. Search around and find people who have useful sites related to your industry. Don’t start your conversation with “will you link to my website?”, but engage them in a business and intellectual conversation about something they recently wrote. Once you have established a relationship with them, then send them something you have published on your site and ask for their opinion. You’ll be surprised how many will link to your site.3) Create compelling tools and content. We have never promoted Website Grader very much. But because it is a really useful tool that people like, lots of people link to it. In fact, in under 3 months, we already had 800 links, and over 20,000 URLs had been graded on the website. Originally published May 9, 2007 12:36:00 PM, updated March 21 2013 Don’t forget to share this post! AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to Email AppEmail AppShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to MessengerMessengerShare to SlackSlacklast_img read more